Good morning lovely people!
Sorry to be tardy with this one. I made this recipe twice. The first time I followed the ingredients/instructions carefully but my main taster (a.k.a husband) found the molasses overpowering. Everything else he loved but the molasses. Well, I replied, it IS a molasses cake after all! There was potential so I decided to remake it with a few changes:
- I used coconut oil which made this cake sing
- The sugar was reduced from 200 grams to 120 grams
- The molasses issue: due to Main Taster’s vociferous protestations against molasses I decided to cut it with honey so I ended up with half molasses, half honey
- I used a loaf pan as I don’t have a mini-muffin pan (yet)
- I formed the crumbs by hand…much easier
- Don’t have a mini-muffin pan so I turned these cakelet’s into a loaf
- The loaf baked on the upper rack of the oven for 45 minutes
The resulting loaf was so delicious my Taster had to have seconds on an already very full tummy. He didn’t even utter the dreaded “but I can taste the molasses, dear”.
My parents-in-law are arriving today and I’m looking forward to their opinion on this one. I won’t tell them it’s a molasses cake…we’ll see. Maybe antipathy towards molasses is an inherited trait. No matter, I’ve already made next week’s kourambiethes and they are utterly, utterly delicious. They could have those instead. The problem is that my parents-in-law are so gorgeous that they have never critisised me nor my cooking (even when such criticism was not only well-deserved but welcome) instead have constantly sung my praises. I’ve been blessed!
Yet again, I’m finding myself typing on the phone instead of the laptop. I’m not sure if the problem resides with my laptop or with WordPress. I shall say good-bye for now…sore thumbs.
Have a great week everyone!